Friday 25 May 2012

Evaluation Unit 67 3D Animation Timed Assessment

Evaluation

For Unit 67, our 3D animation project we were tasked with creating an animation using 3DS Max. We were given a choice of whether to include the 3D assets we created in our Unit 66 unit or create new assets and include them in the animation. I decided i was going to do both, use asset(s) i had already created. My Fortis Defendre and create some new assets to work with it.
The plan i came up with was to create an island in the middle of the sea/ocean and have a fly-by of my Ship (Fortis Defendre) and include an explosion on the island, then have the shock wave of the explosion expand out from the island and hit the shields of the ship before it dissipates and the screen fades to black. The camera would also be moving towards the ship & island whilst orbiting the scene.

In the end the majority of the finished animation met my initial plans and intentions. I managed to create an island using a displacement map of Stewart's Island, i altered some of the settings to raise the bitmap texture of the island i had applied to a plane. Once this was done i needed to create the water for the island to sit on, this was done using a plane and applying a texture to it to imitate the ripples of water. I achieved this by using video tutorials on YouTube and although i managed to create the water texture and successfully applied it to the plane, it didn't have any blue tint to it and so the water was silverish and highly reflective. Although this is not what i had originally intended or wanted the end result was quite appealing so i kept it.

Because i had managed my time effectively i had more time that i had originally planned to edit the background assets for my scene, this involved creating a sky-box using a sphere, sky map, creating a sun using a light source asset and then some (a lot of) tweaking of textures and positioning of the light and sky. Once the skybox was up it reflected really well on my silvery sea, which i was really happy about.

Unusually for me on a final piece, i managed my time quite well, i had everything planned out and ready. as most of the assets were already created there wasn't a lot to do in the way of modelling so most of my time went into researching tutorials and animating. However the texturing and lighting took the most time as the positioning of the sky-box texture and the light source had to be pretty much perfect. This and fixing my island so that the edges of the plane i applied the island displacement map was applied to laid below the surface of the water plane, this however i failed to resolve before submission. I did, surprisingly  find creating the effects relatively easy and enjoyable, i spent allot of time researching tutorials on how best to make them and then implementing them in my work.

As this was my first 3D animation it doesn't really compare to any proffessional example, however i did try to imitate certain effects and camera shots i had seen in CGI from sci-fi films/TV shows and games i drew inspiration from, but i had minimal success.
Some of my class mates liked and found my highly reflective silver ocean amusing and good, complimenting me on my use of effects. However i could use more practice at this and improve upon it. Overall i believe the animation i made was a success and i doubt i would do anything differently given the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment