Thursday 21 June 2012

Evaluation Unit 69 Comic Strip

Evaluation
For Unit 69 we were tasked with creating a storyboard/comic strip using our own concept art ideas and worst, we were told that it had to contain "Narration-Speech & ACTION words with clear examples of Environment/Character/Natural & man-made forms" to help us develop our concept art skills and develop our ideas. After we had created the comic strip we then had to recreate it using Photo shop or Flash.

I started by coming up with a basic idea for a story, this was simple as I chose to make it around a bunch of character concepts I had previously made. The mane character of this was the Leviathan concept I came up with, so I already knew it was going to be a supernatural/fantasy based story. I finished coming up with and designing several secondary characters including, my main protagonist and the antagonist (The Leviathan) and came up with a story which set up my characters being sent on a mission to stop the Leviathan from rising and destroying the world.
After coming up with all the character concepts, background information and basic flow of the story, i then created the layout for my storyboard and decided on how the comic would be read, whether in traditional western form (left to right) or traditional manga format (right to left). and began sketching out the plan for the comic, laying the characters out, having them interact, drawing in the backgrounds ect.


When i was done with this i began to recreate the comic in flash, using the same method that one of my classmates (Inrek) came up with, which worked really well and i decided to adopt it into my comic style. However after losing my original version of my digital comic i moved on to other work thinking i'll come back later and finish it, however i ended up running out of time and submitted the work as it was.


As at first there was no final finished piece, the comic did not end the way i had intended it, however i did get a quick digital version of the first page of my comic done, which is what i submitted  as my final piece.But design wise and with the direction the story went and the was the hand drawn piece ended up, yes the comic strip did meet the intentions i originally had. However if i had managed my time better and got the work done as i was learning to use flash i may have gotten the final digital comic completed and sent off before i fell behind.

Because I'm more of a sketcher i prefer my hand drawn work, as such i found the initial concept sketches, character backgrounds and drawing out the comic easier than anything else, especially redrawing the comic out using Photo shop/Flash which is something that i struggle with (drawing digitally). If i had the chance i would focus more on practising using digital media to draw and given my self a better chance at creating the finished digital copy of the comic, however i did learn how to better draw my concept art and keep them all in-line with a similar drawing style, but saying thsi i enjoyed the overall experience and i liked my final product, and even though the final piece never became a reality people still said they liked my comic (the design, story, characters and layout).

No comments:

Post a Comment